2021 Research and Implementation Grant awardees announced
The Michael V. Drake Institute for Teaching and Learning is pleased to announce 17 recipients of the institute’s Research and Implementation Grant Program for the 2021-22 academic year.
Now in its fourth year, this program awards faculty engaged in scholarly teaching, Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) or Disciplinary-Based Educational Research (DBER) with funds and expertise to support projects that advance instructional best practices. Since its inception, the program has supported 53 research projects aimed at understanding and improving student learning at Ohio State.
Among many excellent proposals, this year’s awards will support projects including, "Art Inside-Out: Teaching Drawing to a Combined Group of Campus-Based and Incarcerated Students" and "Evaluating if a General Education Course about America’s Drug-Taking Culture Provides Undergraduates with a Significant Learning Experience."
“This program affords unique research opportunities to Ohio State faculty interested in taking a scholarly approach to teaching and learning,” says David Sovic, assistant director of research related programs and coordinator of Instructional Redesign at the Drake Institute. “Many of our recipients are pursuing SoTL research for the first time, and we very much encourage those both with and without previous experience with this area of inquiry to consider future proposals. We are very excited about the potential for the 2021 group of projects and look forward to the opportunity to support such interesting and important work here at Ohio State.”
2021 project leads include:
- Rick Palese, Lecturer, School of Music
- Molly Downing, Senior Lecturer, Pharmacy Education and Innovation
- Sandra Diaz Vergara, Clinical Assistant Professor, Veterinary Clinical Sciences
- Penny Pasque, Professor, Educational Studies
- Carmen Winant, Associate Professor, Art
- Yonsoo Kang-Parker, Senior Lecturer, East Asian Languages and Literatures
- Virginia Tompkins, Associate Professor, Psychology (Lima)
- Fábio Leite, Associate Professor, Psychology (Lima)
- Carmen DiGiovine, Clinical Associate Professor, Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
- Kyle Ezell, Clinical Professor, City and Regional Planning
- Alvaro Garcia-Guerra, Assistant Professor, Animal Sciences
- Dani ReStack, Associate Professor, Art
- Cäzilia Loibl, Associate Professor, Human Sciences
- Carmen Taleghani-Nikazm, Professor, German Languages and Literatures
- Christa Teston, Associate Professor, English
- Caroline Clark, Professor, Teaching and Learning
- Janice Aski, Professor, French and Italian