Mission, Vision, Values and Goals
The Michael V. Drake Institute affirms the importance of intellectual inquiry, dialogic exchange, and critical reasoning in an environment that is inclusive to all members of The Ohio State University community. Buckeyes engage with one and other thoughtfully, respectfully, and constructively and recognize the worth and dignity of every person. Expressions that dehumanize people or groups of people, based on any protected class, or that create hostile learning environments for students, staff, or faculty, do not reflect the values or ethos of Ohio State or the Drake Institute and will not be tolerated.
The Michael V. Drake Institute for Teaching and Learning advances at-scale professional learning, evidence-based instructional strategies, and research and policy that elevate, across the university, the work of all who teach.
The Michael V. Drake Institute for Teaching and Learning supports The Ohio State University as an exemplar of teaching excellence, research, and innovation to improve student success.
The Michael V. Drake Institute for Teaching and Learning:
- Models best practices in, creates, and delivers evidence-based educational development programming.
- Provides programming designed to build community amongst those who teach.
- Promotes continuous improvement in educational excellence at all career stages.
- Elevates and amplifies the work of all educational developers at the university.
- Operates efficiently and ethically.
Three-Year Goals (2019-2022)
Goals of the Michael V. Drake Institute for Teaching and Learning reflect institutional priorities articulated through Time and Change Strategic Plan, Strategic Pillar 1: Teaching and Learning. In addition, the Institute responds to articulated and demonstrated needs of constituents through evidence-based educational development. DITL's goals are, in part, informed by the American Council on Education and POD Network Center for Teaching and Learning Matrix.
- Goal 1 – Achieve the broadest possible participation in high-quality, high-impact, evidence-based professional learning programming for those who teach.
- Goal 2 – Scale and deepen professional learning through strategic partnerships and collaborations.
- Goal 3 – Recognize and reward teaching that promotes student learning.
- Goal 4 – Design and sustain an innovative online presence and communications portfolio.
- Goal 5 – Lead in educational development and teaching and learning research.
Land Acknowledgement: The Ohio State University occupies the ancestral and contemporary lands of the Shawnee, Potawatomi, Delaware, Miami, Peoria, Seneca, Wyandotte, Ojibwe, and Cherokee peoples. The university resides on land ceded in the 1795 Treaty of Greeneville and the forced removal of tribal nations through the Indian Removal Act of 1830. The Drake Institute honors the resiliency of these tribal nations and recognizes the historical contexts that have and continue to affect the Indigenous peoples of this land.