Teaching through Writing
In completing this endorsement, participants will:
- Identify and articulate core learning outcomes for a course and at least one assignment to develop or revise
- Identify “bottlenecks,” or places in a course where students struggle to advance their learning via an assignment and frame learning strategies to model tasks and provide opportunities for students to practice
- Design an assignment and related activities which promote transparency in learning and teaching as a way of breaking through identified bottlenecks
- Develop strategies to promote accessible and culturally sustaining learning
- Construct a plan to assess student learning that promotes transparency, accessibility, and culturally sustaining pedagogies
Requirements include the following:
Participants must register for and be accepted into the Teaching through Writing endorsement seminar. Seats are limited.
Visit the Center for the Study and Teaching of Writing website for more information about the Writing Across the Curriculum seminar.
- Participants must attend all sessions of the Seminar
- Participants meet face-to-face for 15 hours (5 sessions of 3 hours each)
- Participants must complete drafts of two core documents during the seminar:
- A prompt for the core assignment that was designed or redesigned
- An assessment plan for their assignment