learning theory, strategies for online communication (instructor-student and student-student), engagement techniques (instructor-student, student-student, and student-content), and other best practices for teaching online.online courses and programs are offered, we must consider how we best teach and learn in these environments. Instructional strategies for online courses differ significantly from those used in face-to-face courses, but many instructors have not had experience teaching online. This endorsement will train you in the strategies needed to develop high-quality online courses that provide the academic rigor expected at Ohio State. You will explore
- Investigate learning theory and research that has implications for promoting student success, agency and metacognition in online courses.
- Explore tools and methods for efficiently providing rich feedback for student work.
- Demonstrate best practices for setting up an online course for easy student navigation.
- Develop strategies for creating meaningful instructional, administrative and social presence with students in an online course.
- Identify elements of course delivery that are especially significant for ensuring quality, rigor and academic integrity in a fully online course.
Complete fifteen hours of training from the program elements below before submitting an application for endorsement.
- Core (10 hrs): Engaged participation in the instructor moderated online course, Introduction to Teaching Online, is required for endorsement.
- Electives (5 hrs): Attend five or more hours of any other eligible workshops from the Office of Distance Education and eLearning (ODEE).
Note: If you participated in qualifying ODEE programming prior to the 2020-2021 academic year (e.g., Online Course Delivery Basics, Keys to Successful Online Teaching, and various other workshops on teaching online), you can still apply for the Teaching Online endorsement. Before submitting your application, contact email@example.com with a list of events attended to determine your endorsement eligibility.